Hello,

Yukihiro Matsumoto schrieb:

>In message "Re: Garbage collection of Symbols in future release?"
>    on Thu, 17 May 2007 06:20:47 +0900, Sven Suska <sven716rc / suska.org> writes:
>
>|Does the feature list of Ruby 1.9 include
>|the garbage collection of Symbols?
>
>No.  It's pretty difficult to detect symbols that can be removed
>safely.  If anyone has good idea, I'd love to hear.
>
>							matz.

O, I thought it was simple. But I am not a core programmer.

My idea was to go through every (class, gobal, local) variable
in the whole system and mark all Symbols in the table that are still used.
Then regenerate the table with only these Symbols.

Do this only, if the total number of Symbols exceeds a limit.
Then the amortized time should hardly be noticeable.

Where does this not match with reality?

Regards,
Sven