On 5/12/07, Nobuyoshi Nakada <nobu / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> At Fri, 16 Feb 2007 02:09:08 +0900,
> Daniel Berger wrote in [ruby-core:10321]:
> > The File.basename method does not work properly on Windows
> > root paths. IMO, calling File.basename on a root path should
> > return itself. However, on MS Windows it appears to be
> > dropping the volume name and it doesn't handle UNC root paths
> > correctly:
> Drive letter is part of base name?  It feels very strange to me.

It's right, though.

File.basename("C:/") should return "C:/"
File.dirname("C:/") should return "C:/"
File.basename("//server/share/") must return "//server/share/"
File.dirname("//server/share/") must return "//server/share/"

This would be true for any filesystem environment that allows multiple roots.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca