Bugs item #9208, was opened at 2007-03-13 01:19
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=1698&aid=9208&group_id=426

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I was running through the installation procedure suggested on this page: http://claudio.cicali.org/article/74/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-on-ubuntu-510

Gem broke when I ran "sudo gem update --system", and would not perform the next step in the list, "sudo gem install rails -y". I googled the error it gave and found this page: http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubygems-developers/2007-January/002529.html

Deleting /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/source_cache temporarily fixed the gem program, but if I ran "sudo gem update --system" again the source_cache file was restored and gave the same error.

Running "sudo gem install rails -y" without running "sudo gem update --system" first did not give any good results.

I'm not sure that this is a Ruby bug, but it seems to me that this may have broken recently because the comments at the bottom of the tutorial suggest that it has worked for many people.