Hi,

As far as I can tell (and I hope I'm not overlooking something
embarrassingly obvious) there is no way to define private constants in
Ruby.  It seems to me that class implementations often benefit from the
use of constants, but there is no need to expose many of these constants
as part of the public API.

Has the community settled on any kind of pattern for dealing with this?

The only one I can think of is to define methods whose names begin with
capital letters and therefore look like constants.  I don't like the
performance implications of that, however.

Thank you for your insight!

	David Flanagan