Rick DeNatale wrote:
> It seems to me that java package naming maps more natuarally to nested
> Ruby modules
>
> why not
>
> module Java
> end
>
> module Java::Lang
> end
>
> class Java::Lang::System
> end

Actually something very similar to this is planned for post 1.0, but for
now to make the syntax as friendly as possible it uses method tricks...

java.lang.System

...calls "java", returning the "java" package object, then calls "lang"
on that package, returning the "java.lang" package object, then calls
System on that package, returning the "java.lang.System" proxy class.
But in the future, I think it would better map to exactly what you've
described, in addition to having the Ruby class hierarchy representing
Java types map directly to the Java type hierarchy, with modules playing
the role of interfaces.

But I still think being able to do

class some_method(); da da da; end

...makes sense.