Hello friends!

On the JRuby project, we have endeavored to create an engine for running
YARV/Ruby1.9 bytecodes as part of our JVM-based runtime. I did the
initial work, getting basic things like fib working, and Ola added many
bytecodes, refactored, and got tail calls and inline caching working.
The work seems very promising as a way for us to maintain future
compatibility with ahead-of-time compiled Ruby 1.9 source.

However we have no Ruby 1.9 bytecode compiler. The existing compiler is
written in C, and the porting effort is nontrivial.

Is there any effort to write a Ruby 1.9 bytecode compiler in Ruby, so we
might be able to use it directly?

- Charlie