I see, and tend to agreeĦ½to some extent, at least!

Not sure how much can be done hereĦ½some amount of "semantically not really clear, yet convenient" methods trickle from Rails/ActiveSupport. (My personal "favorite" is Array#intersect and related methods, making Array API pretending it is set instead of enhancing Set and making it more popular.)

I could at least do this: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/5480, WDYT?

Feature #18273: Class#subclasses

* Author: byroot (Jean Boussier)
Ref: https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/43481

Something we forgot to mention in [Feature #14394], is either a parameter or another method to only get direct descendants.

Active Support has been offering `Class.subclasses` as:

```ruby
  def subclasses
    descendants.select { |descendant| descendant.superclass == self }
  end
```

It seems a bit silly to grab all descendants and then restrict the list when `Class#descendants` had to do some recursion to get them all in the first place.

### Proposal

We could either implement `Class#subclasses` directly, or accept a parameter in `Class#descendants`, e.g. `descendants(immediate = false)`.

cc @eregon

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/