Issue #18273 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

> In my view, this method does not play well with object lifetime, semantically.

This is perfectly fine, Ruby isn't concerned about wether a `Class` is still present in the constant table or not (or if it ever was). That's also how the old Active Support implementation based on `ObjectSpace.each_object` behaved.

That's why [`DescendantTracker` keeps a `WeakMap` of the unregistered classes to give the illusion in reload mode](https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/9062d705ad9055c0f3ec73505150e0e94fff5925/activesupport/lib/active_support/descendants_tracker.rb#L26).

> If GC kicks in between lines 3 and 4, you may get different results. In my opinion, this non-determinism is not good for an API like this one.

That too was considered and is fine.

Feature #18273: Class#subclasses