maximecb (Maxime Chevalier-Boisvert) wrote in #note-6:
> I'd like to get input from people who are packaging Ruby, and those maintaining Ruby installation scripts.

The current active maintainers of e.g. `ruby-build` would be @hsbt and myself, I tried to base my replies on that, as well on my ruby/ruby-builder work.
It feels suboptimal to me that each ruby installation script/command-line would need to be adapted for this (or it'd disable YJIT) and e.g., add some way to install rust (OTOH it may be unavoidable).
If it's as simple as an extra package to install then it's probably fine.

As a concrete example, ruby-build currently only requires to install system packages: https://github.com/rbenv/ruby-build/wiki#suggested-build-environment
If we can just add rust/rust-devel or so to those lists then it seems fine (although it will be unnecessary for older Ruby versions).
That would mean it needs to work at least e.g. on latest Debian and RHEL releases (at the time of Ruby 3.2 release).
If we'd need some curl + rustup or so then I'd think it'd be quickly a lot more involved.

Also because many users already have ruby-build installed they likely wouldn't notice the dependencies changed and so would build without YJIT.
A good error message when using `--yjit` and it was not built which mentions why (due to not having rust X.Y available when building Ruby) seems helpful for that.

Also what should be the behavior if the rust version is too old? As if it was missing?

`ruby-install` similarly keeps a list of packages to install: https://github.com/postmodern/ruby-install/blob/master/share/ruby-install/ruby/dependencies.txt
RVM as well.

Basically it will be N places to update vs 1 which is why I wonder if the solution to automatically download Rust when building CRuby (potentially opt-in) isn't better.
Also currently `ruby-build` and RVM don't show the build output of CRuby by default, hence they would completely miss that YJIT was not build.

> to prebuild Ruby binary for packages, which covers most Ruby users.

I would not be sure about that. Most developers using Ruby install it from source AFAIK (because OS tend to only package a single Ruby version but apps typically need a specific version), there are no official binary builds of CRuby, and only RVM has some binaries for some OS versions.

Feature #18481: Porting YJIT to Rust (request for feedback)