Issue #16038 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

>  It doesn't seem like it would allow the deduplication described above.

The subject was enlarged a bit over time.

The initial deduplication scenarios assume both weak keys and weak values, which is currently the case on MRI, but seems complicated to do on Java based implementations.

But I suppose you could do this:

```ruby
REGISTRY = WeakKeysMap.new

if (ref = REGISTRY[instance])
  ref.__getobj__ # would need to deal with dead ref here but whatever
else
  REGISTRY[instance] = WeakRef.new(instance)
end
```

Feature #16038: Provide a public WeakMap that compares by equality rather than by identity