Issue #18255 has been updated by vihai (Daniele Orlandi).

nobu (Nobuyoshi Nakada) wrote in #note-1:

> Do you mean that `fd.ioctl(GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL, "X"*364)` raises the exception?

"X"*364 is a request that makes ioctl fail and the SystemCallError is raised before the sanity check of the buffer.

However, given that `req` is a proper request as a binary string:

```
> fd.ioctl(GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL, req)
`ioctl': return value overflowed string (ArgumentError)
> fd.ioctl(GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL, req + ' '.b)
Success
```

> > It seems that the last byte of the buffer is zeroed:
>
> Yes, it's the sentinel byte added internally.

As I see from the source the sentinel byte is a 17 (decimal) and as far as I understand it should be outside the visible buffer.

Something else zeroes the last byte of the buffer (which happens to be the sentinel byte when the buffer is properly sized).

Bug #18255: ioctl zeroes the last buffer byte

* Author: vihai (Daniele Orlandi)

Hello,

I'm running ruby 2.7.4p191 on an armv7 linux and experimenting with GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL ioctl.

The ioctl sanity check is triggered as if the buffer was too small however the size of the buffer passed to ioctl is correct.

```
io.rb:116:in `ioctl': return value overflowed string (ArgumentError)
```

If I append at least one byte to the buffer the ioctl does not raise an exception.

It seems that the last byte of the buffer is zeroed:

```
puts "SIZE=#{req.bytesize}"
req = req + "XXXXXXXXXX".b
puts req.unpack("H*")
fd.ioctl(GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL, req)
puts req.unpack("H*")
```

```
SIZE=364
[...]0000000000000058585858585858585858
[...]0000000600000058585858585858585800
```

I checked with a C program and the ioctl does not actually touch the buffer beyond the expected 364 bytes.
The ioctl number does encode 364 as size:

```
#include <stdio.h>
#include <linux/gpio.h>

void main()
{
  printf("SIZE=%d", _IOC_SIZE(GPIO_GET_LINEHANDLE_IOCTL));
}
```

```
SIZE=364