Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote in #note-5:
> I am strongly against this proposal as it currently stands.

> For `error_highlight` I already mentioned from the start it was a bad idea to read code from disk and re-parse (because that's unreliable). And now it's clear this also doesn't work for eval'd code.

The `dead_end` gem (that we will try to integrate into Ruby early next year, see #18159) also needs code, and as far as I understand, it also reads it from disk. Can you say exactly what the problem is? Is it that the file may get changed? We should try to find a solution that works not only for `error_highlight`, but also for `dead_end` and others, and of course preferably for all Ruby implementations.

Feature #18231: `RubyVM.keep_script_lines`