Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote in #note-4:
> The quotes around the message feel redundant to me and likely to cause much more incompatibility.

Because we don't inspect an exception object so often, I think the redundancy is not much of a problem. I somewhat agree with the concern about incompatibility. Though it is not very admirable to depend on the return value of `#inspect`, some changes of tests are actually needed for my PR.

> I'm neutral regarding escaping \n and non-printable characters.

I think of three options.

1. No change
2. Apply String#inspect to the message (as my PR does)
3. Apply String#inspect to the message, and drop the first and last quotes from the returned string

(3) is very ad-hoc but maybe will work well in many cases.

Bug #18170: Exception#inspect should not include newlines