Issue #18147 has been updated by deivid (David Rodr=EDguez).

> Wow, that was fast. Thanks! The problem is, that it changes the behavior =
between plain ruby and any wrapper like irb. But nevertheless, it's certain=
ly not a ruby but a rubygems issue. So this bug report can be closed.

I created a pull request to rubygems so that `irb` doesn't  change default =
`ruby` behaviour regarding `uri` being loaded: https://github.com/rubygems/=
rubygems/pull/4897.

Bug #18147: URI is not loaded anymore since ruby-2.7.0

* Author: sascha (Sascha Willuweit)
* ruby -v: >=3D2.7.0
It's not a big thing but may break things: Starting with ruby-2.7.0 the URI=
 module is not auto-loaded. Please check/reproduce this using `ruby -e "URI=
"` since ruby-2.7.0
 it throws an `uninitialized constant URI (NameError)` whereas in previous =
ruby releases it simply passes.

I have no clue which things have changed from 2.6.6 to 2.7.0 that are causi=
ng this unusual behaiviour...

-- =

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/