Eregon (Benoit Daloze) wrote in #note-3:
> If you only need to know if there is an `Exception` this seems easier:
> Using the example from https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/15567#note-27
> ```ruby
> begin
> rescue Exception =3D> exception
>   transaction.abort
>   raise exception
> ensure
>   transaction.commmit unless transaction.aborted?
> end
> ```

What about
```ruby
begin
rescue Exception
  transaction.abort
else
  transaction.commit
end
```
It seems shorter and easier to understand.

Having read through most of #15567, my impression is that:
- Ruby already has too many features for exceptional flow control. Adding m=
ore stuff that makes this even more complicated doesn't look like an improv=
ement of the language. (Go To Statement Considered Harmful, anybody?)
- All the documentation/books that I can remember explain Exceptions and ca=
tch/throw completely separately (although usually in close proximity, becau=
se both features don't really fit anywhere). Some improvement seems in orde=
r, even if this is only "don't use them together".
- `ensure` contains always executed code. Adding conditions to its syntax s=
eems strange. It would be similar to extending the syntax of `else` (both i=
n `if` expressions as well as in `begin` blocks). Specific conditions shoul=
d be handled where we already have them, on `rescue`, e.g. like `rescue whe=
n throw` or some such (if at all).
- The argument that Rubocop complains about something isn't really an argum=
ent. If Rubocop is wrong, it should be fixed.

Feature #18083: Capture error in ensure block.