Issue #17873 has been updated by byroot (Jean Boussier).

> so as long as ruby 3.1 provides a fixed version of bundler & rubygems, it should be ok, right?

No, the problem is that to be compatible with 3.1, these gems will have to specify these dependencies. But anyone using gems defining these dependencies but still using older rubygems/bundler will have the double loading issue.

So there's really nothing we can do :/, people will have to upgrade their rubygems/bundler.

Feature #17873: Update of default gems in Ruby 3.1