Issue #17992 has been updated by AMomchilov (Alexander Momchilov).

k0kubun (Takashi Kokubun) wrote in #note-1:
> Could you clarify a bit more context about why you'd like to escape these characters not supported in CGI.escapeHTML?

We have a dataset of user content that contains HTML entities (whether intended or not), which we would like rendered by a non-browser presentation layer. We want our server backend to decode these into their proper characters.

You make a good point about the performance. Definitely don't want to touch `escapeHTML`.

Granted, the name, "escapeHTML" is about escaping HTML, and not about necessarily decoding HTML entites, so the current behaviour makes sense.

What if the more-general (but slower) entity decoding behaviour was added under, say, `(de|en)code_html_entities`?

Feature #17992: Upstreaming the htmlentities gem into CGI#.(un)escape_html