Issue #17992 has been reported by AMomchilov (Alexander Momchilov).

Bug #17992: Upstreaming the htmlentities gem into CGI#.(un)escape_html
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/17992

* Author: AMomchilov (Alexander Momchilov)
Hi there,

I was looking to unescape some HTML entities in a String, and I discovered that `CGI#.(un)escape_html` is **really** limited. Many StackOverflow questions share a similar disappointment, and point users to using the [htmlentities gem](https://github.com/threedaymonk/htmlentities):

1. https://stackoverflow.com/a/383561/3141234
2. https://stackoverflow.com/a/22926384/3141234

This solved my problem, but I feel like something this standard/universal should be built-in. To that end, I'm interested in working on merging the htmlentities gem into CGI's repo. Would this be a welcome change?

* I've e-mailed the author (Paul Battley) privately, and got his blessing to do so.
* It's MIT licensed, so that should be OK.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/