Issue #10320 has been updated by texpert (Aurel Branzeanu).

jaesharp (J Lynn) wrote in #note-10:
> I'd like to note that there exists a gem called modules ( https://rubygems.org/gems/modules ) which uses `Kernel#load` with the `wrap=true` option in order to implement a module import/export resolution system similar in nature to the one described here and to node.js's commonjs module system semantics. Perhaps this is sufficient to meet people's needs, if brought in?

And another similar gem is modulation ( https://rubygems.org/gems/modulation/versions/0.25 )

Feature #10320: require into module

* Author: sowieso (So Wieso)
When requiring a library, global namespace always gets polluted, at least with one module name. So when requiring a gem with many dependencies, at least one constant enters global namespace per dependency, which can easily get out of hand (especially when gems are not enclosed in a module).

Would it be possible to extend require (and load, require_relative) to put all content into a custom module and not into global namespace?

Syntax ideas:

~~~ruby
require 'libfile', into: :Lib   # keyword-argument
require 'libfile' in Lib   # with keyword, also defining a module Lib at current binding (unless defined? Lib)
require_qualified 'libfile', :Lib
~~~

This would also make including code into libraries much easier, as it is well scoped.

~~~ruby
module MyGem
require 'needed' in Need

def do_something
Need::important.process!
 # library user is never concerned over needed's content
~~~

Some problems to discuss:

* requiring into two different modules means loading the file twice?
* monkeypatching libraries should only affect the module вк auto refinements?
* maybe also allow a binding as argument, not only a module?
* privately require, so that required constants and methods are not accessible from the outside of a module (seems to difficult)
* what about $global constants, read them from global scope but copy-write them only to local scope?

Similar issue:
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/5643

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/