xtkoba (Tee KOBAYASHI) wrote in #note-9:
> I am sorry that I cannot evaluate the importance of this proposal.
> =

> Are there any real-world use cases of `SMTPUTF8` or `REQUIRETLS` or any o=
ther optional parameters for `MAIL` or `RCPT` commands?

SMTPUTF8 is getting more and more supported. ICANN has an "Universal Accept=
ance" group that provides all kinds of resources. For example, you can chec=
k whether your email provider supports SMTPUTF8 at https://uasg.tech/eai-ch=
eck/ (mine does, didn't know). More resources at https://www.icann.org/ua. =
It would be great if Ruby would support it, too. My understanding is that i=
t gets used more and more in countries such as China and India,...

Feature #17047: Support parameters for MAIL FROM and RCPT TO

* Author: c960657 (Christian Schmidt)
## Proposal
In `Net::SMTP`, add support for parameters for `MAIL FROM` and `RCPT TO`, s=
uch as [SMTPUTF8](https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6531) and [REQUIRETLS](htt=
ps://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8689).

I suggest extending `Net::SMTP#mailfrom` and `Net::SMTP#rcpto` so they acce=
pt an additional optional Array or Hash of parameters.

For `Net::SMTP#send_message` and `Net::SMTP#open_message_stream`, I suggest=
 that in addition to a String email address (or arrays of Strings), these m=
ethods should accept a pair (or arrays of pairs) of `[addr, params]`, where=
 `addr` is the String email address, and `params` is an Array or Hash of pa=
rameters.

In order for the parameters to be useful, we should expose the capabilities=
 reported by `EHLO`, so `capable?` should be made public.

Pull request: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/3359

-- =

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/