Issue #17853 has been reported by komamitsu (Mitsunori Komatsu).

Feature #17853: Add Thread#thread_id
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/17853

* Author: komamitsu (Mitsunori Komatsu)
# Abstract

New method `Thread#thread_id` to get associated thread id (LWP.) It might return `nil` if OS doesn't support thread id or equivalent.

# Background

When I tried to investigate which Ruby thread of an application is busy, I did the following steps
- checked the CPU usage of the Ruby application's threads using `ps -eLf` or `top` (with H key) and got which thread is busy
- dumped all the threads of the application using https://github.com/frsyuki/sigdump
- tried to find a busy thread in the thread dump result, but the thread dump doesn't contain thread id...

`Thread` class itself has no method to get associated thread id. If the class has `#thread_id` or something, I can create a PR on `sigdump` project to add `thread id` in thread dump output to make investigations with thread dump much easier.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/