Issue #16816 has been updated by jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans).

Backport deleted (2.5: UNKNOWN, 2.6: UNKNOWN, 2.7: UNKNOWN)
ruby -v deleted (all)
Tracker changed from Bug to Feature

I prepared a commit to fix this: https://github.com/jeremyevans/ruby/commit/851534bbffd87c79bb63e8df36d6a47cc821aef0

Unfortunately, it breaks a CSV test:

```
  1) Failure:
TestCSVParseInvalid#test_ignore_invalid_line [/home/runner/work/ruby/ruby/src/test/csv/parse/test_invalid.rb:34]:
<false> expected but was
<true>.
```

This failure shows the general problem with the idea. Basically, when enumerating has side effects, such as reading from a file, after an error is raised, you may want to continue enumerating after the error.  Because the file state has changed, this is not equivalent to restarting from the beginning, it's equivalent to picking up where you left off.

So this isn't a change we would want to make by default.  We would only want it for stateless enumerators, and we don't currently differentiate between enumerators that have external state and those that do not.

I think the current behavior makes sense for enumerators having external state.  So I conclude this is not a bug, but a feature request, and one that could only be made if Ruby decided to differentiate the two types of enumerators.

Feature #16816: Prematurely terminated Enumerator should stay terminated