Issue #17751 has been reported by stiuna (Juan Gregorio).

Misc #17751: Do these instructions (<<,+,[0..n]) modify the original string without creating copies?
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/17751

* Author: stiuna (Juan Gregorio)
In my program a string increases considerably in size inside a loop, at the end of that loop a header is created that will have to go to the beginning of that string.

During the whole loop:

``` ruby
str << "some data"
```

At the end:

``` ruby
header = "other data"
str = header + str
```

I understand that using (+) creates a copy to then modify the original variable, that is not desirable, I would like to do something similar to (<<), which I understand does not create copies.

If I do this:
``` ruby
header << str
```

I would have two variables with a very large size.

I also have this other code and I don't know if it is an "in place" modifier:
``` ruby
str = "12345"
str[0..2] = ""
#s => 45
```

In short, I want to know what instructions I should use to remove a given range from a string and how to concatenate to both the beginning and end of the target string without having to create copies.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/