As far as I remember, I've heard that libobjc needs to be linked against the executable file instead of dynamically loaded modules for startup routines.
I'm not sure if still it is true though.

Feature #17741: Ruby links to `objc` for convenience - this should be moved into a native ext

* Author: rickmark (Rick Mark)
As a convenance to extension developers Ruby on macOS always links to libobjc.  This could be better handled with a native ObjC extension so that one could `require 'objc'` to add this to the process.

The extension would link to libobjc and provide bindings to `objc_msgSend` and friends.  By not linking to libobjc we can also avoid linking to libc++abi and all that entails.

This makes ruby on mac more similar to ruby when compiled on other platforms.

ruby_final.txt (2.24 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/