@marcandre the information about redefined basic methods is not available to Ruby or C extensions AFAIK (since it is some kind of VM implementation detail).

I guess your reply reinforces my point that we should clarify this is only about basic methods (e.g., that have their own bytecode instruction in CRuby, or are AST-inlined in TruffleRuby), and where checking if a method is redefined is enough to perform the logic inline (typically used for "leaf" classes).

Feature #17660: Expose information about which basic methods have been redefined

* Author: tenderlovemaking (Aaron Patterson)
I would like to tell if code is redefining methods that can impact
MRI's optimizations.  This commit exposes which basic methods have been
redefined.  For example:

```ruby
class Integer
  def +(x); x ** self; end
end

p RubyVM.redefined_methods # => {Integer=>[:+]}
```

This will allow us to prevent basic method redefinitions from happening
by checking for them in CI environments.  For example:

```ruby
Minitest.after_run {
  fail "Basic methods have been redefine" if RubyVM.redefined_methods.any?
}
```

0001-Expose-information-about-which-basic-methods-have-be.patch (3.89 KB)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/