I think this is a bug and should be fixed, but IMO the proper fix is to use realpath for `__FILE__`

So in the example above when you do `require "openssl/digest"`, ruby will find `/usr/local/lib/ruby/3.0.0/openssl/digest.rb` and then it should check the realpath (`~/openssl/lib/openssl/digest.rb`) before loading the file.

Feature #16978: Ruby should not use realpath for __FILE__

* Author: vo.x (Vit Ondruch)
This is the simplest test case:

~~~
$ mkdir a

$ echo "puts __FILE__" > a/test.rb

$ ln -s a b

$ ruby -Ib -e "require 'test'"
/builddir/a/test.rb
~~~

This behavior is problematic, because Ruby should not know nothing about the `a` directory. It was not instructed to use it. I should always refer to the file using the original path and do not dig into the underlying details, otherwise depending on file system setup, one might be forced to used `File.realpath` everywhere trying to use `__FILE__`.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/