Hi --

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, Nikolai Weibull wrote:

> On 2/6/07, dblack / wobblini.net <dblack / wobblini.net> wrote:
>> Hi --

>> > Like the fact that #ordAt isn't a very Rubyish name.  I really
>> > appreciate the fact that the core and standard libraries use very
>> > consistent naming schemes, where most methods have only one word in
>> > them, thus avoiding the whole
>> >
>> came-case-versus-internal-upcasing-versus-lowline-separating-naming-scheme
>> > holy-war.
>>
>> There are quite a few multi-word methods (respond_to?, values_at,
>> to_i, instance_methods, etc.), all with the underscore style.  I agree
>> there's no "war" aspect to it, but there's definitely a traditional
>> style.
>
> What I meant was that it seems that people have been clever enough to
> avoid multi-word methods as far as possible, so that there really
> never has to be a discussion about it.  I know that the naming
> conventions are camel-case for constants and lowlines for everything
> else, but I realized early while reading through the early
> documentation that every method seemed to have a very good single-word
> name.

irb(main):006:0> Object.new.methods.size
=> 40
irb(main):007:0> Object.new.methods.grep(/_/).size
=> 17

I guess __send__ and __id__ shouldn't count :-)  It's still a large
percentage, though.  I don't think anyone's ever tried to avoid
multi_word methods, except maybe when they get too big (though that
can be handy too, in cases like instance_variable_get where the
bigness draws attention to the possible inelegance of using the
method).

David