marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune) wrote in #note-4:
> Note that they are *not* treated the same way. `Ractor.new{}` forbids any reference to outside variables, while `make_shareable(proc)` allows it as long as the values are themselves shareable.

Yes, Ractor.new{} seems special, but actually it seems like the Ractor.make_shareable() semantics would be more useful, that way some frozen data could be passed directly in the new Ractor.

> I agree that is the most obvious, but that makes `Ractor.make_shareable(-> { puts "hello" })` fail, which is far from being useful.

In my view, `Ractor.make_shareable` should deeply freeze/share some object graph rooted by some initial object.
So I think it should freeze captures and self for a Proc.
If it's needed to e.g. `Ractor.make_shareable(self); o = Ractor.make_shareable(Object.new); Ractor.make_shareable(-> { p o; ... })`, it feels so redundant.
I think `Ractor.make_shareable` should always succeed, except if it sees a truly unshareable object (e.g., a Mutex).

Bug #17543: Ractor isolation broken by `self` in shareable proc