chrisseaton (Chris Seaton) wrote in #note-32:
> An use-case I was working on earlier today was profiling operations like coverage and sampling tools.

Ah yes, beautiful example! Accumulating metrics require both atomicity and performance.

Feature #12607: Ruby needs an atomic integer

* Author: shyouhei (Shyouhei Urabe)
* Assignee: ko1 (Koichi Sasada)
(This one was derived from bug #12463)

Although I don't think += would become atomic, at the same time I understand Rodrigo's needs of _easier_ counter variable that resists inter-thread tampering.  I don't think ruby's Integer class can be used for that purpose for reasons (mainly because it is not designed with threads in mind).  Rather we should introduce a integer class which is carefully designed.

Why not import Concurrent::AtomicFixnum into core?

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/