Issue #17528 has been updated by mohamedhafez (Mohamed Hafez).

I was just doing a similar test actually, I think your correct! I'll close this issue and re-submit a patch to Net::HTTP to replace `Timeout::timeout` there, since it's not doing anything for DNS lookups anyway. Thank you!

Feature #17528: Make Addrinfo.getaddrinfo fall back to Timeout.timeout for :resolv_timeout

* Author: mohamedhafez (Mohamed Hafez)
Currently, `Addrinfo.getaddrinfo` ignores the `:resolv_timeout` option if we are on a system without `getaddrinfo_a`. It would be great if instead it would fall back to using `Timeout.timeout`.

That way, we could get rid of a lot of the usage of `Timeout.timeout` for systems that *do* have `getaddrinfo_a`. For example, for Net::HTTP#connect we could easily then do something like this: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/master...mohamedhafez:patch-3?diff=split.

The motivation for this is that the usage of Timeout.timeout is inherently unsafe, and it would be great to stop using it where we can (see https://www.mikeperham.com/2015/05/08/timeout-rubys-most-dangerous-api/ and http://blog.headius.com/2008/02/ruby-threadraise-threadkill-timeoutrb.html)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/