Issue #17528 has been updated by mohamedhafez (Mohamed Hafez).

According to https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12435, the only reason we are using `Timeout.timeout` in `Net::HTTP#connect` instead of using nonblocking io and `IO.select` is so that we can place a timeout on the getaddrinfo function, @normalperson can you clarify here?

Feature #17528: Make Addrinfo.getaddrinfo fall back to Timeout.timeout for :resolv_timeout

* Author: mohamedhafez (Mohamed Hafez)
Currently, `Addrinfo.getaddrinfo` ignores the `:resolv_timeout` option if we are on a system without `getaddrinfo_a`. It would be great if instead it would fall back to using `Timeout.timeout`.

That way, we could get rid of a lot of the usage of `Timeout.timeout` for systems that *do* have `getaddrinfo_a`. For example, for Net::HTTP#connect we could easily then do something like this: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/compare/master...mohamedhafez:patch-3?diff=split.

The motivation for this is that the usage of Timeout.timeout is inherently unsafe, and it would be great to stop using it where we can (see https://www.mikeperham.com/2015/05/08/timeout-rubys-most-dangerous-api/ and http://blog.headius.com/2008/02/ruby-threadraise-threadkill-timeoutrb.html)

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/