Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In message "Re: String.ord"
>     on Tue, 6 Feb 2007 07:03:05 +0900, David Flanagan <david / davidflanagan.com> writes:
>
> |Does anyone (Matz?) know why the (new in 1.9) String.ord method is
> |restricted to one-character Strings?
>
> I just followed Python convention here.

Ah ha.  I don't know Python well enough, or maybe I would have realized
that.

It still seems to me that there ought to be a way to get the 1.8
behavior in a single method call rather than having to call [] and then
call ord on the result.  If you don't want to modify ord to accept an
index, Would you consider ordAt(x) or codepoint(x) or something like that?

	David