On Feb 2, 2007, at 7:40 PM, Yukihiro Matsumoto wrote:

> FYI, I have no specific opinion for or against userinfo.

I've actually wished for it a couple of times and I wish it was
supported.  I always start with using open-uri, because I love that
interface, but sometimes something like this issue forces me to
switch to Net::HTTP.  It makes me sad.

It also feels a little against Ruby's philosophy of "Trust the
Programmer."  If I want to use userinfo, well, I know best.  open-uri
doesn't stop me from doing it, it just forces me to rely on a
different tool.

Those are just my opinions though.  No offense meant.

James Edward Gray II