M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> How does jRuby deal with extensions written in C or C++? Sure, there are
> lots of "pure Ruby" applications and I assume jRuby will run them all.

It's also worth saying two other things:

- Yes, ideally all "pure Ruby" apps should run, provided they don't use
platform-specific features heavily (non-portable file or POSIX APIs we
can't support in Java, for example) or continuations (we don't support
continuations, and have seen almost no demand for us to support
them...plus, it would be rather difficult to support both continuations
and Java bytecode compilation).
- With the recent compiler and optimization work, it's my hope that
people won't *have to* write extensions when running under JRuby,
because the compiled code will run at a comfortable speed. We also
leverage Java's excellent reflective capabilities to allow Ruby code to
call Java code directly, further reducing the requirement to write
physical Java extensions (since you can just manipulate the given
library from Ruby).

- Charlie