On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, dblack / wobblini.net wrote:

> Hi --

>> Here's the problem: there are going to be multiple implementations
>> of Ruby in the wild. And for those who run in other VMs, there will
>> be compatibility problems. It's up to the spec to make
>> determinations about what are 'important' incompatibilities vs.
>> 'unimportant' incompatibilities. For example, which Ruby C libraries
>> will be deemed to be 'unimportant' and not something that must be
>> ported to a 3rd party VM in order for that language to be called
>> 'Ruby'.
>>
>> So, it's in the best interests of the community to have a neutral
>> 3rd party be the 'owner' of the spec, otherwise there may be the
>> perception of, let's say, some large company trying to steer the
>> specification to run Ruby better on its own VM. These are issues
>> that I'd like to get out in the open and have a resolution that
>> everyone is comfortable with, and as early as possible in the
>> process.
>
> If it's a matter of the applicability of the name Ruby, then Matz is
> the first and last arbitrator.

I should add: I'm not unwilling for Ruby Central to get involved in
some way, but I'd want to be clear that it wasn't at the level of
actually making decisions about what was or was not Ruby, since that's
Matz's prerogative (unless he delegates it, of course).

(And I probably meant "arbiter" :-)

David