Persuaded at today's developer meeting.  I now think that :redefine shall be handled in other ways.

The point is, it is the author's intention, not the end user's, that they wants to redefine a method without warnings.  Asking everyone else to set RUBYOPT='-W:redefine' sounds just a wrong way to solve the problem.  The intention must be clearly declared by the author into their code.  We should have a dedicated method something like `Class#suppress_redefinition_of_this_symbol(sym)`.

Deprecation is a different story (people did not intend to use a deprecated feature; core devs make them deprecated). I can understand the use of warning mechanism there.

Feature #17143: Improve support for warning categories

* Author: jeremyevans0 (Jeremy Evans)
Support was recently added for Warning.warn to accept a `category` keyword.  However, the initial implementation was limited to having `rb_warn_deprecated` and `rb_warn_deprecated_to_remove` use the `:deprecated` value for the `category` keyword.

It doesn't make sense to me to have a `category` keyword if it is only used for deprecation, so I propose we extend the support so that `Kernel#warn` accepts a category keyword (for Ruby-level warnings) and `rb_category_warn` and `rb_category_warning` functions be added to the C-API (for C-level warnings).  I also propose that we change existing `rb_warn` and `rb_warning` calls to `rb_category_warn` and `rb_category_warning`, so that all warnings issued by core Ruby are issued with an appropriate category.

I have implemented support for this in a pull request: https://github.com/ruby/ruby/pull/3508

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/