Hi Everyone,

I thought I'd throw out some suggestions about creating a formal specificat=
ion for the Ruby Language. I'm also new to Microsoft, so I'm learning a lot=
 about the rules of engagement here, so please forgive me if you find some =
of my proposals to be a big ... strange.

I think it would be really useful if we could create a central repository f=
or an official language verification suite. Like a lot of folks, I favor re=
ading code over reading prose, wherever possible. I've been working on a li=
ttle side project where I'm defining language behavior using RSpec. Over th=
e next week or so, I anticipate being able to spend a significant chunk of =
time working on fleshing out my spec. I'd like to contribute it back to the=
 community, and use it as a starting point for some more serious discussion=
s about the definition of the language.

Here are my ideas:

1)      I think that RubyForge would be a natural place to host the specifi=
cation project.

2)      I think that the license for the specification project would need t=
o be very open - something like MIT would rock.

3)      It would be great to give commit rights to representatives from eac=
h of the Ruby implementation projects by default, and to any interested mem=
bers from the Ruby community.

4)      Would it be possible to have RubyCentral act as the owner of the pr=
oject? Or some other neutral party? Suggestions welcome.

5)      We should focus our energy on documenting existing behavior of Ruby=
 - do folks object to 1.8.4 as the baseline?

Thanks!
-John