Hi,

In message "Re: new method dispatch rule (matz' proposal)"
    on Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:48:16 +0900, Evan Phoenix <evan / fallingsnow.net> writes:

|> This is very rare case that
|>
|>   * the target class override the private method by public method
|>   * and there's a functional call of that method
|>
|> I think it should be warned, or maybe cause error.
|
|Ok, but where to you warn about it? If the answer is at runtime, then
|again, I worry about making dispatch slower as it now has to perform
|extra checks to detect this condition.

I was thinking runtime, in slower traversing search.  There's no
performance penalty if cache hit.

|But... if the answer is statically, ie, when 'def msg' is run and
|Kernel#msg already exists, then I think that there are more static
|checks that we could do to help the programmer with private methods.
|I'd be happy to talk about them, but I won't waste my breath if
|you're against doing static checks.

That's quite possible, and I think it's better than warning/error in
method search process.  I am not against it.  But if we adapt rule4
without rule3 as Charles mentioned, this issue goes away anyway.

							matz.