I think your expectation is reasonable. If we change it, we need much work to estimate its compatibility impact carefully and to design a migration path, of course.

I proposed and implemented `private_constant` ten years ago.  [Feature #2366] was written in Japanese (sorry!), but as far as I see, no one discussed changing `private`, maybe because of compatibility. I did not introduce `private_constant` with no receiver was because I wanted to avoid a new module state (as I recall, matz now dislikes the module state), but I agree that it is redundant.

Feature #17171: Why is the visibility of constants not affected by `private`?

* Author: marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune)
```ruby
class Foo
  def call_me
    # ...
  end

  private

  SOME_DATA = %i[...].freeze  # is public, why not private?

  def calc_stuff  # is private, ok.
    # ...
```ruby

It's probably a naive question, but why shouldn't `SOME_DATA`'s visibility be private?

When writing gems, more often than not the constants that I write are not meant for public consumption. I find it redundant (and tiresome) to explicitly write `private_constant :SOME_DATA`.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/