Issue #17171 has been updated by marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune).

I'd like us to consider changing this so that `private` also changes the visibility of future constants being set.

If that is deemed too risky for compatibility, could `private_constant` with no receiver do this?

Feature #17171: Why is the visibility of constants not affected by `private`?

* Author: marcandre (Marc-Andre Lafortune)
```ruby
class Foo
  def call_me
    # ...
  end

  private

  SOME_DATA = %i[...].freeze  # is public, why not private?

  def calc_stuff  # is private, ok.
    # ...
```ruby

It's probably a naive question, but why shouldn't `SOME_DATA`'s visibility be private?

When writing gems, more often than not the constants that I write are not meant for public consumption. I find it redundant (and tiresome) to explicitly write `private_constant :SOME_DATA`.

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/