Issue #17170 has been reported by foonlyboy (Eike Dierks).

Feature #17170: Numeric.zero, Numeric.one
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/17170

* Author: foonlyboy (Eike Dierks)
Hi at the ruby team,

I'd like to suggest to enhance Numeric
to provide two new class methods,
which shall be: zero and one

- Integer.zero shall be equal to Integer(0)
- Float.zero shall be equal to Float(0)
- BigDecimal.zero shall be equal to BigDecimal(0)
- Complex.zero shall be equal to Complex(0)

Likewise for one, you get the idea.

Numeric already provides #zero?
so Numeric.zero.zero? shall always be true.

I expect this to make code more explicit.
And it would safe a pair of braces.
(don't laugh -- this really got me here)

---

Maybe you already considered that for 3.0,
that would be a late addition.

ruby shines in teaching mathematics.
you know, we have zero and one there.

I use ruby in the financial realm.
For me it's important to write BigDecimal.zero

---

I expect that the new api should not break existing code.
We could try it with rails first,
let's ask them.

It would be nice to have that in rails 3.

~eike

--
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/